Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, August 06, 2008

    Update on my Grandpa

    This info is compiled from two emails I received - one from my aunt (forwarded by my mother) and the other from my sister (who visited my grandma & aunt this afternoon). I'm going to try to call my grandpa later today at the hospital.

    From Jody’s Update (Wed 8/6):
    On Monday (8/4), Grandpa Art had an Ultrasound and CT scan, and the results were inconclusive. On Tuesday (8/5) he had a MRI and it showed he has cholangiocarcinoma (tumor either on or in the bile duct area of the liver -- aka bile duct cancer). The doctors say the only cure for this type of cancer is surgery.

    The problem with this type of cancer is that by the time it is usually discovered it has become inoperable (which is what has happened with my Grandpa). The doctors also say that Chemotherapy and Radiation are not effective for this type of cancer. This is a rare form of cancer in the U.S. (only 2,000 - 3,000 cases are diagnosed per year). The cause of bile duct cancer is unknown. And while hepatitis B,C, alcoholic liver disease and cirrhosis can cause bile duct cancer, Grandpa doesn’t have any of those diseases.

    On Thursday (8/7) the doctor will be doing a procedure called ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography). This procedure will enable the doctor to insert a stint into the bile duct so that the bile from the liver will be able to drain. Also the doctor will try to obtain some cells from the tumor to confirm their diagnosis of cholangiocarcinoma.

    From Sara’s Update (Wed 8/6):
    Sara went to visit our Grandma & aunt today at their house, but coulden’t see Grandpa because he’s still in the hospital. The procedure he was supposed to have today is postponed until tomorrow as an emergency came up for the doctor who will be performing the procedure.

    He is at Sharps Memorial Hospital on Gennessee off the 163 Freeway. He is currently sharing a room with another man on the cancer floor. (She gave us his room number and room phone number).

    When she left their house around 2:20pm, Grandma and Jody were on their way back to the hospital to spend some more time with Grandpa. And Grandpa’s brother Clair was on his way to meet them there.

    When they do the procedure tomorrow, they will try to remove some cells from the tumor so they can test them to confirm it is cancer and to see what stage it is at.

    Grandma said Grandpa is in good spirits and just keeps saying that whatever is God's Will will happen. He is not in pain except for some heart burn when he eats, but it is unrelated to the tumor.

    Assuming the procedure is tomorrow, Grandma said that she is expecting Grandpa to be home this weekend.

    Grandma is taking it harder than Grandpa so some extra prayers for her emotional state would be good.


    So, for those of you know me/my family (and are reading this), please keep my family in prayer the next few days.

    No comments: