Pages

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, April 16, 2010

    attempted unauthorized entry into my place!?!

    So this morning, as I was just about to hop in the shower (took a day off of work and was doing things, such as cleaning, before I finally got around to showering) when I heard someone at the door trying to use the keys in both the deadbolt and the doorknob locks. What the...???

    I quickly peeked through the Peephole and verified it wasn't my roommate. It was a guy (stranger or possibly my landlord?1? - hard to tell from the angle) attempting to use keys to get in. Good thing I had flipped the Security Lock that CANNOT be undone from outside! So, feeling relatively safe knowing that lock was in place, I showered. Afterwards I sent the following email to my landlord and his broker (who's selling the place...if you haven't been following along with the latest drama):


    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Rebecca (ME)
    Date: Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    Subject: attempted entry at [xxxx] around 10:30a?
    To: Broker & Landlord
    Cc: Roommate


    Ali & Fred,


    Did either of you or someone you sent over attempt to enter [xxxx] this morning around 10:30am? I was home and just about to step into the shower when I heard someone attempting to get in (using the key in both the doorknob lock and the deadbolt). As I was planning to shower and had received NO notice of anyone coming over, I had earlier this morning used the Security Lock (installed by my roommate and myself 5 years ago) that can only be undone from the inside to secure the front door.

    I took the day off work and will be in and out all day. If you have people coming by, please let me know in advance of someone attempting to enter to view the place. 

    Thank you.

    Rebecca 
    Tenant
    [xxxx], Irvine, CA


    ---------------------------------------

    And NOW I just got an emailed response from my landlord. Turns out it WAS him and he had some kind of appointment with a carpenter (LOTS of termite damage outside on the stairs leading to our place...we're on the 2nd floor) and the carpenter wanted to see the inside and make sure there wasn't additional damage (besides exterior). So my landlord thinking it was no big deal, attempted to get inside. UGH!

    Here's his email to me in response:


    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: Fred (landlord)
    Date: Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    Subject: RE: attempted entry at [xxxx[ around 10:30a?
    To: Me & Fred's Real Estate Broker
    Cc: Roommate


    Rebecca,
    I was meeting with a carpenter this morning to look at the stairs and some other exterior items that need fixing. While the items in question are the associations responsibility, they are slow and I wanted the estimate as back-up in in case HOA was not able to expedite the repairs. I was not expecting the need to come inside.
    After inspecting the exterior, he asked if he could look inside to make sure none of the items did extend beyond what was visible. I rang the bell a few times and did not get a  reply. I assumed you are not home and  tried to open the door and was not able to do so. So we left. I am sure based on the inspection done previously, fixing what is visible from outside will be adequate.
    Sorry about not providing you with the notice. I was not expecting the need to come inside. I told him to limit his estimate to what he saw and we will take care of any additional items if we come across any. Thanks,
    Fred
     
    ---------------------

    Seriously?!? That's his excuse? He didn't think he'd need to come inside so because the guy wanted access and he assumed that we weren't home (doorbell doesn't sound in the master bedroom or master bathroom - no way I would have heard it) he thought it would just be OK to let himself in? Uh, No Way! We have rights to privacy still. Just another example of how he thinks cause he owns the place he can let himself in whenever. I'm sorry, per our Lease (and CA law), he must give us "REASONABLE NOTICE" of his intent to enter. Ringing the doorbell was not reasonable notice.

    My landlord just sets my teeth on edge. I can't WAIT to get outta here!

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    He's only allowed in without reasonable notice if it was an EMERGENCY!! Unless your home is on fire, or similar, he must give notice.

    May I suggest next time you write him, that you specify 24 hour notice as per your lease and state law, so he might actually see those words and remember to check the legal requirements. But then does require him to actually *think* about what he is doing.