Pages

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, February 18, 2010

    Picnicking at "Fort Knotts" (Feb 2010)



    Last Saturday, February 13, 2010, Oak Street (part of the Historical Citizens Association) picnicked at “Fort Knotts”. Fort Knotts is an American Civil War Living History Encampment set up on the grounds near Independence Hall – and the parking lot - at Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park, CA.

    It was a beautiful day. Not too hot, not too cold, and just perfect in the shade where we set up our picnic. (Thanks go to Gina, Chris, Cat, Elizabeth McCash, & the Crosbys…and anyone else I may have accidentally left out….who snagged us such a perfect picnicking spot!).


    I didn’t get that many pictures, but it was a fun ‘relaxing’ day. (I even managed a nap, which I really needed :). Jenn Mulvey even managed to make it over to visit with us with 15 *day* old baby Talon. (Yay!) So of course the baby was passed around, which he was pretty good natured about for the most part. :)


    Around 5pm we day-trippers were packing up our stuff, with a few people leaving for the day and some headed over to Mrs. Knotts Restaurant to eat supper over there. I was chit-chatting with a few people and it took longer than it should have for me to pack up my stuff, so by the time I was ready to figure out my supper plans, I had missed the earlier group. I did manage to join up with Elizabeth McCash, Colleen Crosby, & Shaw Crosby as they were about to head over to try the line at Mrs. Knotts. By the time we got there, though, the wait was an hour and our friends somewhere inside. We decided not to bother and instead trekked over to the nearby Claim Jumpers (where we all proceeded to split a couple meals due to HUGE portions and 3 of us wearing corsets! :).

    When we finished dinner, the 4 of us headed back to Camp and soon found the location where the dance was going on and found our friends already there. We were just in time to join in on the Virginia Reel, which was a blast. :)


    I danced a few more dances (though not every one – we had only recently had supper after all!), and visited some more with other non-dancers. Then sometime past 9pm, we called it a night. What an excellent end of a long (but full) day.


    Pics available at my Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbec/sets/72157623451829278/

    No comments: